Wednesday 11 September 2013


Who said that you had to be young to have an Entrepreneurial Spirit?

Yes, there are many stories out there about mega millionaire Entrepreneurs who started off selling lemonade on the street corner when they were a kid but there are just as many that started later in life. Have a look at our friendly Colonel Sanders from KFC fame. I became an Entrepreneur in my early 50s. There are no age, race or sex barriers when it comes to drive and determination to see things through to the end.  Anyone with a unique concept or a new angle on how to solve an old problem can apply for and get the job of Entrepreneur.

Gone are the days when you had to stay at one corporate until you retire. Nowadays, the more you learn and experience during your working career in different environments allows you to become a more successful Entrepreneur. Here are some pointers that will show that you don’t have to be 7 years old to be an Entrepreneur.

·         If you have that unique concept or angle and just know that this is going to solve a problem or problems for others and you are PASSIONATE in wanting to be the catalyst in helping them, then you are already an Entrepreneur with the thinking of an Entrepreneur. In my case I found that many Business Coaches were getting stuck with admin and used that gap to service that particular industry as a Virtual Assistant. It’s not a unique concept but it’s an old issue that needed a new attack angle.

·     During my working career I was only exposed to certain amount of learning and always considered myself an empty jar that needed to be filled with knowledge and best practice. No-one can learn everything but if you are wise, CONNECT with someone who has the experience and knowledge about what you want and LEARN as much as possible from them and use that information to your advantage. Be FLEXIBLE when receiving information, nothing is set in stone. ADAPT the lessons learned to the way you want to use them in your business.

·       Having a challenge is the mainstay of any Entrepreneur and finding a way to solve that challenge is very exhilarating. However, in order to BECOME AN EXPERT and to maintain your superiority in that particular field, it’s vital to up-skill yourself whenever you can so that you can be the EXPERT that gets called upon.

·      In my line of business as a Virtual Assistant, I don’t just stick with one client and work for them exclusively. I outsource to many clients and while doing so I have been exposed to many ideas on how to do things differently. As an Entrepreneur my business ebbs and flows and I use the ideas that come my way and ADAPT them accordingly so my business is never static. I’m always thinking “Where to next? What else can my clients want or need?” This has opened up a new avenue in my business which I will be offering my clients soon as an add-on service. Never stop thinking of the NEXT STEP.

I hope that some of what I’ve mentioned resonates with you and inspires you to make that leap into becoming an Entrepreneur regardless of your age.

If you would like to know more about working with a Virtual Assistant, please contact me and I will be happy to discuss alternative ways of helping you reach your ultimate goal. I’m contactable on email: dmatheson@worldonline.co.za or visit my website: www.dfm-virtualassistant.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment